Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Herb Garden

This is my herb garden. I didn't have room for all of the herbs I bought to go in there, so I had to decide which ones to include. After thinking about it for a minute, I decided I would include all the herbs I use for making marinara sauce. So, I guess it's kind of like an Italian herb garden.
I constructed it myself the other day with some left over brick my husband had from a job he did. It might not look real professional (as my husband, the landscaper, pointed out), but I like it, and it serves it's purpose.
I located it right outside my back door for easy access. So when I'm in the middle of cooking and I just need a little of this or that, it's real convenient.

Here's what it consists of:


Parsley
(Petroselinum crispum neapolitanum)

Fragrant flavorful leaves are excellent for seasoning and as a garnish. A complementary flavor that enhances most dishes, especially sauces, salads, meats and vegetables. Dries well. A biennial grown as an annual; replant each year for best flavor.



Common Thyme
(Thymus vulgaris)

Fragrant foliage with a classic thyme flavor and aroma. Outstanding for seasoning poultry, fish and pork, in sauces and soups, and in herbal vinegar. Good companion plant for tomatoes. Dry or freeze leaves for winter use, or grow in a pot indoors.



Rosemary
(Rosmarinus offcinalis 'Arp')

Intensely fragrant leaves have a distinctive flavor. Great seasoning for meat or vegetable dishes, or use dried for crafts. Attractive in the garden and containers. May be wintered indoors in pots; needs high humidity.



Fennel
(Foeniculum vulgare)

Highly aromatic and flavorful herb. Dried fennel seed is an aromatic, anise-flavored spice, brown or green in color when fresh, slowly turning a dull grey as the seed ages. For cooking, green seeds are optimal.[5] The leaves are delicately flavored and similar in shape to those of dill. The bulb is a crisp, hardy root vegetable and may be sauteed, stewed, braised, grilled, or eaten raw.

Italian Oregano
(Origanum vulgare)

Hot spicy aroma and flavor make this the classic pizza herb. Adds zest to Italian, Greek and Mexican cuisine and complements tomato dishes beef or lamb stew, soups salads or casseroles. Use fresh, dried, or fresh frozen. Harvest before flowering.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you constructed your herb garden. You don't need perfection to make a garden grow - just love and care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy. I intend to give it both!

    ReplyDelete